Taking part in research
Being a research participant means that you are taking part in the research, rather than delivering a study as part of the clinical research team.
We believe that patients who take part in research studies benefit from all the support, value and purpose that this brings, as well as any potential new treatment outcomes.
If you are deciding whether to participate in a study or you are already taking part but there are things that you don’t quite understand, please always ask your research doctor or nurse, who will be happy to help answer any questions or concerns. If you would like more general information or understanding about research or to find out more about what it means to be a research participant then please see the below information or alternatively visit the NIHR website.
Why should I take part in research?
- The hospital carries out research studies for a number of different clinical illnesses.
- Research is important because it can help to improve healthcare by finding out which treatment works best.
- Any research study that you are asked to take part in has been reviewed and approved by the trust.
- Research takes a variety of forms ranging from clinical trials of new treatments to questionnaires.
- If you are asked about participating in a research study you will be provided with full details of the study and what this means for your care.
- Participation is entirely voluntary. If you decide to take part in a study you can choose to withdraw at any time.
What to do if you are interested
- Speak to your doctor or nurse
- Contact the research and development team on 01642 854089 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Take a look at our Call for volunteers page for studies currently recruiting.
- Visit the Making Research Better website for real life stories, news and events and more information about how to get involved. You can also register to be contacted about research opportunities.
- Visit the Be Part of Research website, another way to register to be contacted about research opportunities.
- Visit the INVOLVE website
Whether you are looking for a particular study or are generally interested what research is happening we will do everything we can to help
Research at South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- We participate in hundreds of research studies across our sites thanks to the support of thousands of our patients.
- Some of our studies were developed here at South Tees while others have been developed by a wide range of partners including university, commercial and military organisations